Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blog Post 5

My client has just prioritized the new subset of data to be mapped: patients based on DOB. As of right now I am sorting through all 2,790 patients and isolating them into age groups based on birth year (since there are so many), starting with the youngest, born in 2013. After doing so I will confirm with my client the number of maps - so the number of age groups he wants to have completed. Since each Google Map document is only capable of importing a maximum number of 100 cells, I still see this as a potential problem, as in some instances of birth years, the number of patients within each far exceeds 100. It seems most reasonable to have approximately 5 maps of age groups so about 500 mapped patients. 

I am still working with my data right now, which is a little frustrating because I did hope to have at least one map complete by this point. Hopefully within the next week I will finalize the details of my new data set, and have at least all age groups plotted - so that I can begin to add the final layers. Dr. M today mentioned a continuation of this project for future students; possibly mapping the first several age groups, and then having continuing students take on the following age groups of patients to map, and so on. This seems like a good idea, so in the semesters to come, this pediatrics patients project will gradually become more  comprehensive and complete!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebecca,
    I'm glad you are still working through the challenges. Is this map to be used by clients? If so, the age grouping is still an issue as they will grow older every year, therefore all the maps will be inaccurate in a year. If this is a map used by clients, it would seem to be better to focus on mapping the resources in each area by town or zip code. A GIS student could do the Geocoding and do a separate client location-based map in ArcGIS in the advanced course this Spring semester. It seems like the two objectives you have are clashing with one another. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete